Coliseum Health System is dedicated to educating women about breast health and providing you with the tools and information you need to stay vigilant in the fight against breast cancer and other breast diseases. There are more ways than ever to diagnose and treat breast abnormalities. Coliseum Medical Centers offers diagnostic and interventional breast care, as well as many services including genetic testing with a team of specialized physicians and clinicians who are experts in breast care. Everything you need is handled, completely and compassionately at the Coliseum Breast Health Center.
Your chances of beating breast cancer increase when detected early, and a mammogram is the single most-effective method of early detection. Breast cancer responds well to early treatment; generally, the sooner it is detected, the more successful the treatment. Mammography can detect a breast lump as small as 1/8 inch. Breast imaging can help identify abnormal growths, breast cancer, cysts, lumps, mastitis, etc.
Coliseum Health System offers digital mammography at Coliseum Medical Centers and Coliseum Northside Hospital.
Physician Order not required for screening……Although physician referrals are not necessary, you may want to consult your personal physician to determine when to make a mammography part of your healthcare plan. Not only does our online registration make getting your mammography easy, we also have available after hours to help ensure everyone is able to receive this screening.
You can do pre-registration online and online mammogram appointment request. Simply, complete the 10-20 minute Online Pre-Registration and Mammogram Scheduling forms at least two business days prior to your scheduled appointment. Saturdays and evening appointments available.
3D Mammography now offered at Coliseum Medical Centers
Coliseum Medical Centers now offers 3D Mammography as a way to detect breast abnormalities. Three-dimensional (3D) mammography, also known as digital mammography with tomosynthesis, is the latest technology in breast mammography.
Benefits of a 3D Mammogram
- Multiple studies have reported that 3D mammography significantly increases breast cancer detection, with a more than 40% increase in the detection of invasive cancers
- Earlier detection of breast cancers
- Clearer lesion image
- Reduction in the number of unnecessary biopsies, minimizing patient anxiety and unnecessary costs
3D mammography is recommended for patients who have the following:
- Previous mammograms with ambiguous or inconclusive results
- Dense breast tissue
- Been previously called back for repeat breast scans
- Undergone biopsies for suspicious masses or lesions in the past
- Breast cancer, or have a family history of cancer
Anyone can request a 3D screening mammogram. No doctor’s order is necessary for the screening mammogram. Depending on your insurance coverage, additional fees may apply for 3-D mammography. You will be informed about any fees that are the patient’s responsibility when checking in for your appointment.
Coliseum Breast Center is designated as a “Center of Excellence.”
The Coliseum Breast Health Center at Coliseum Medical Centers was one of the first 150 breast centers in the nation to be accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), a program administered by the American College of Surgeons. Accreditation by the NAPBC is only given to those centers that have voluntarily committed to provide the highest level of quality breast care and that undergo a rigorous evaluation process and review of their performance. A breast center that achieves NAPBC accreditation has demonstrated a firm commitment to offer its patients every significant advantage in their battle against breast disease.
This means that we offer the highest quality patient care, including…
- Timely and accurate diagnosis
- Patient navigators to help you through the process efficiently and to keep you informed
- State-of-the-art surgery and therapy
- A multi-disciplinary team approach to your care, with specialists from breast surgery, medical and surgical oncology, radiation oncology, radiology, plastic surgery and other disciplines
- The most sophisticated equipment available for imaging and more
- Full array of breast health services for you and your personal physician through one centralized service
We also focus on treating the whole patient—your physical, emotional and spiritual wellbeing. We’ll offer you support and education throughout your treatment, and our staff specialized in breast care. We encourage you to ask questions; we’re here to help.
The Coliseum Breast Center has been designated a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence (BICOE) by the American College of Radiology (ACR) and is the only Breast Imaging Center of Excellence in Middle Georgia. The breast imaging services at this center are fully accredited in mammography, stereotactic breast biopsy, breast ultrasound and ultrasound-guided breast biopsy. Peer-review evaluations, conducted in each breast imaging modality by board-certified physicians and medical physicists who are experts in the field, have determined that this facility has achieved high practice standards in image quality, personnel qualifications, facility equipment, quality control procedures, and quality assurance programs.
Some of the most advanced technology and services offered at the Breast Health Center include:
- Certified Lymphedema Specialist
- Digital Mammography
- 3D Mammography
- Genetic testing
- Breast MRI
- Breast Biopsy Procedures by Stereotactic
- Ultrasound guidance
- Bosom Buddies support group